Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Jack’s FOURTH Birthday!!

002 (6)

A big birthday boy smile!

Where do I begin to talk about my sweet little boy on his fourth birthday?  Well, he began his day much like all his others, snuggling in Mom and Dad’s bed drinking his orange juice and watching the Backyardigans or SuperWhy.  He got to open two presents in bed, one of them was Elmo from Mom and Dad, the other was Buzz Lightyear from Uncle Nick.  He was pretty excited.  We had already had a lot of birthday hoopla already with Savannah’s birthday a few days earlier, and the big party a couple days earlier too.   But Jack was not tired of the fun.  He was enjoying every moment of his special day. 

007 (4)

He was very excited to see Buzz under the wrapping paper.

 

008 (4)

 

009 (4)

Elmo was also a hit.

 

I had to go to work since it was a week day but I know Chris made it a special day for Jack while I was gone.  On my way home I stopped to get Jack two of his favorite chocolate treats, a Kit Kat and a Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup.  I made his little cake from these two candy bars.  He was thrilled with his little “cake.”  After Savannah’s birthday cake, the cupcakes at the party, and tons of Candy from Candyland, I was not about to eat more junk myself so I thought his little cake was perfect!

 

IMG_20110830_174821

Happy Birthday to Jack!  This year he blew out his candle on the first try!

 

010 (4)

I brought Jack into work with me after dinner so I could finish up a few things.  He was such a good boy, playing games on the IPAD while I worked.  I didn’t want to be away from him and he was happy to come to “Mommy’s work” for a little bit.

 

 011 (3)

My happy boy playing Elmo’s games.

 

IMG_20110830_070539

I took this picture with my phone.  It was hard to get him out of bed once he had opened his two presents!

 

Jack, your Dad and I are so lucky to have you.  You bring so much joy and laughter to our lives.  We love watching you grow and learn. 

Tonight you climbed the rock wall at the park by yourself again.  I have seen you do it before, but it always amazes me.  You use only your left arm and you concentrate very hard on placing your right foot carefully in the center of the rock.  You know not to trust that right foot and leg completely since you have done that in the past and landed on the ground.  You pull yourself up one rock at a time.  You slip sometimes and I have to hold myself back from helping you.  I know you can do it on your own and I let you struggle a bit.  You climb to the top and turn around to smile at me in triumph.  My heart swells with pride and love. 

You have been given challenges and obstacles to overcome because God knows you can!  You are stronger and smarter than the other kids.  That is why He chose you Jack.  He knew that with your strength and intelligence that an injury like yours would not stop you from succeeding in anything you chose to try or to learn to do.  You amaze us Jack.  You continue to work hard to reach many of the milestones that the other kids made it to without effort. 

The other night at tumbling class you were sitting next to this cute little girl.  She smiled at you and said, “I’m Eliana” and you smiled and said, “I’m Jack.”   She said, “What happened to your arm?”  You looked down at your hand splint and then up at me and said thoughtfully, “Mom, what happened to my arm?”  I hesitated, and then said, “It doesn’t work very well Jack.”  You smiled at Eliana and said with a tap to your right hand, “It’s not workin.”  And then the two of you got up and jumped on the mini-tramp together.  It was such a wonderful exchange between two kids that made such a complicated sad situation seem so simple and completely OKAY.  Eliana accepted you even though your hand wasn’t working and you accepted the fact that your hand wasn’t working and I am beginning to accept that your hand isn’t working and probably never will.  God works in mysterious ways and I am always trying to listen and watch for when He is speaking to me. 

Thank you for all your hugs, kisses, high fives, and smiles.  Thank you for all your naughtiness, silliness, and boisterous rough-house behavior.  Good thing I like to wrestle!  Thanks for creating a flood in the bathroom during every bath and spitting your milk and soup at every opportunity.  You are all boy, all the time, and I am so happy you are my son. 

I can’t wait to see what you will do next!

No comments:

Post a Comment