Monday, November 29, 2010

Gratitude and Contentment

We left Wednesday night for Sioux City, despite the reports of bad weather and questionable road conditions.  I was so desperate to get out of town and I didn't really care if we were taking a slight risk.  The amount of work it takes to pack and plan for a three day out of town trip with two kids was something I didn't want to redo Thursday morning.  I was also incredibly excited to see my family so Chris and I agreed to go.  I am so glad we did because the roads were not bad at all, and I really think that people exaggerate the first possible wintry mix each year. 

We had a great weekend, seeing both sides of our families.  I was lazy with the pictures but I did get a few on my camera and Amy helped with a few others.  We ate at Mom and Lyle's house.  The food was delicious and it was so relaxing to enjoy our food (kids were down for naps) and to talk to my grandparents. We went over to Chris' parents house later that afternoon to see Joe and Rena, Nick, and of course, the most popular puppy, Felix. On Friday morning Christina watched the kids so that Chris and I could check out some Black Friday deals on appliances.  Our dishwasher is broken and our microwave is on its way out, so I figured it was time to upgrade.  We got a great deal on stainless steel appliances and I am so excited to see how our kitchen will look in the next six months or so as we change the fixtures and the countertops as well. 

Friday night we saw extended family from Roxanne's side, family we hadn't seen in a long time.  It was so great to see everyone and catch up.  Later that night we went out to celebrate Amy's birthday.  Lolli and Pop watched Jack and Savannah so Chris and I could cut loose and have fun.  We had a lot of fun, and I loved the opportunity to hang out with all my siblings.  They often are able to get together, the four of them without me, and it just kills me when they are all together and I am not there.  But this time, all five of us were together, drinking, laughing, and having a blast.  I was so thankful I could be there with them. 

It is not very often that I just sit and enjoy feeling content.  I pretty much let myself feel it for about ten seconds, then my mind drifts off to the next thing that needs to be done.  I have decided that I am really going to work on just letting myself feel content and relaxed in the moments I have that allow for it.  In the last few days, I have felt so at peace, putting up Christmas decorations, playing with the kids, laying by the fire watching the AMAs with Chris, and just loving where we are in our life right now.  Yes, sometimes the kids drive me crazy, and yes, my Grandma Keane was shocked and did not hide her disapproval of me, when I told her that sometimes I tell Savannah I am going to drop her off at the closest orphanage if she doesn't stop her fussy, whiny, dramatic behavior, but I often remind myself that deep down, I think I THRIVE on the chaos and if I didn't have it, I would probably really miss it.  How long was that sentence?   Sometimes I get stressed at work and the pace is exhausting, but I really do like my job and the people I work with.  I have decided that if I am complaining I am not practicing gratitude.  So, as I drove to work today I thought of how happy I am to have a job that I am passionate about, that pays me well even though I am away from my children, that I am healthy, how thankful I am that my family is healthy, and how grateful I am to be married to my best friend.  There are so many other things and people that I am grateful for, too many to list, but it is a good feeling, and I am going to work on feeling and expressing it more often. 

Jack LOVED spending time with his cousin Brook at Grandma and Grandpa's house

They were SOOOO cute and cuddly, with Brook reading to Jack.  At one point, Jack was patting Brook's back saying, "there ya go Brook!" That is Jack's way of saying good job.

Savannah has really started loving to read books.  She sits so nicely in her chair and looks at the pictures.

Loving his pal Scout.

The formal dining room never had any lighting so finally we bought a floor lamp that matches some of our other light fixtures.  Bad idea.  Both Jack and Savannah love to shake it and push it.  They are learning not to touch it but it still makes me nervous.

Savvy rocking her first ponytail.  I know, it is a little sad.

Now, there's a smile!

Riding the bike at Grandma's house.

Out at the bar for Amy's 21st birthday, Courtney, Christina, McKenzie, Amy, and me.

Uh oh.  I am too old for this.

Me and my baby sister. 

Should've gotten a picture with the boys too.  They were too busy watching football.

1 comment:

  1. Wow jewels, after reading your recent blogs it makes me miss reading your thoughts from the care pages days! I should come here more often. :) Thanks for sharing your blog. It is so healthy to pause and reflect on the blessings of life, and reset your perspective. Sounds like you got a bit of that over the holidays. I just got away from life in NY for two weeks and being with family in iowa helped me "reset" my perspective too. Cute pics!! Savannah has the same smile as jack when he was little!! My how she and jack have grown

    ReplyDelete