Sunday, February 20, 2011

Trip to Iowa City

Jack in front of the carousel at the Coral Ridge mall in Coralville


Savannah had a hard time deciding if she liked it or not. 



We went to Iowa City on Feb. 2 for a follow up appointment in neurosurgery for Jack.  He had skull radiographs first, followed  by a check up with Dr. Menezes.  Jack did a great job laying still for his x-rays.  The technicians put a sticker up on the machine for him to look at.  I will say, that even though I know what is coming when the image surfaces on the computer (these are digital radiographs) I still have a pang of pain in my chest when I see his small perfect bones on the screen.  His beautiful jaw bones with his permanent teeth forming, his little clavicles, ribs, and his skull with a big hole in it.  I don't really know exactly what is going on with the bone formation, but to me it looked like there was some growth and some little "islands" of bone forming in that open area on the left side of his head.  I didn't want to get my hopes up so I didn't really say anything to Chris.

We went back to neurosurg to wait for our appointment.  Dr. Menezes was happy to see Jack and he was in a good mood.  He said that Jack looked great and that he is very pleased with the helmet and shape of Jack's head.  Dr. Menezes said that from the radiographs everything looks very symmetrical and that the helmet has likely prevented some distortion of Jack's face and skull.  He said that there was some slight bone growth but that he is still planning on a single surgery for Jack at the age of 5, 6, or 7 depending on his skull growth and development at that time.  Dr. Menezes asked Chris how he was doing as stay at home Dad and he inquired about my "practice."  He really makes an effort to get to know his patients and our opinion of him has greatly changed since our negative first impression.  Chris and I were happy with the good news, or more so, the fact that we didn't get bad news. 

We headed straight to the mall to eat lunch in the food court.  Our good friend Shane was able to meet us for lunch.  Of course we had to get our Chick-Fil-A fix.  The kids were so excited to ride the carousel and I was excited to get some pictures, but I forgot my camera charger with the battery in it in the exam room at UIHC.  Whoops!  But, luckily, Shane had her camera and snapped some cute ones.  It was great to see her and we love that she always makes an effort to see our family.  I always feel sad though, when I think of all the good friends we have, and how no one lives close enough to see often. 

I hit up Old Navy with the kids for some speed shopping while Chris went back to the neurosurg dept for my camera battery and charger.  Afterwards, we stopped at my friend Kelly's house where our other friend, Leah had stopped by.  I finally got to meet precious little Katelyn, Kelly and Chris' first born daughter.  She was beautiful, so small and snug, sleeping in her crib.  It was so fun to catch up with Kelly and Leah while the kids explored Kelly's house. 

We headed home, tired and worn out from our long day.  What was supposed to be a half day trip turned into a day long excursion with two kids who didn't take naps.  We usually don't do things like that because we hate the consequences of two whiny tired kids, but it was totally worth it.  We had a great day!

P.S.  Chris, thank you for working on your flexibility quality!  :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment