Last night Chris and I took the kids to the renovated historic Orpheum theater in Marshalltown. They were playing "Mary Poppins" at 7:00. After a yummy pizza dinner and chocolate cookies from Papa Murphy's we put the kids in their jammies and headed off to the show. It was my idea to do this little outing and whenever my ideas end up in disaster Chris really doesn't let me forget it. He always says, "remember what happened the last time we tried to do......." I was a bit nervous because when we try to watch a movie at home the kids never sit still and it lasts about ten minutes. We let them wear their slippers and bring their blankets and stuffed puppies from Lolli and Pop. I figured if they lasted the whole movie they would be exhausted and we could put them right to bed afterwards.
We were so suprised at how inexpensive everything was. Three tickets, $9.00, two kiddie treats including popcorn, candy and a small drink was $4.00. We got settled into our seats and Savannah just arched her back and took off, running up the ramp and onto the stage beneath the big screen. I ran off to get her and she started screaming when I tried to keep her sitting on my lap. Jack decided to jump out of his seat too and he was up on the stage before I knew it. When the movie started they were busy eating their popcorn and treats and that kept them still for at least a half hour. It was so wonderful to watch Jack's face react to all the cute scenes in the movie. I love "Mary Poppins" and to see him get so excited over some of my favorite parts, like when the kids clean up the nursery or to see all the nannies fly away in the air with their umbrellas. He loved seeing them all ride the carousel and then race the cartoon horses. Savannah seemed to like the singing and the cartoon parts best.
Jack was very good for the whole time. Savannah had periods of restlessness and back arching and crying. Then she would settle down and watch for another fifteen or twenty minutes quietly. Overall, we made it through one hour and forty eight minutes of the movie. A SUCCESS!! However, I brought my camera to take some cute pictures of the kids sitting in their seats with their treats and I just didn't get it done. There was way too much going on!! I am sure you can imagine their little faces lit up by the big screen. A good family memory.
No comments:
Post a Comment