Sunday, June 5, 2011

Our new playset / Weekend without Daddy

Our new playset next to our neighbors new playset~a whole backyard of FUN! This is the view from our fourth bedroom window upstairs.  We both wanted the playsets in the corner of our backyards and it is working out really well, because all the kids play together on both sets.

I have wanted a playset for the kids for over a year now.  We have been researching them, comparing them, pricing them for over a year. Last summer we decided to tear out the big garden to make more room in our backyard.  Chris wanted to wait for the grass to grown in nicely before we put up the playset. Once I heard our neighbors had purchased their playset and were putting theirs up soon, all I could think was how Jack and Savannah would be ALL over their set ALL the time. That was the motivating factor to just finally make a decision and order one.


The playset was installed on Friday and I had the afternoon off work. I had to take it off because Chris was leaving to go to Omaha to help Joe and Rena move into their new house.  I was so excited to come home and see how the guys were doing since they had arrived at 7:45 that morning to put it up.  I was shocked to see they were done and had been done for awhile.  The kids loved it and were thrilled to go back outside and play some more when I got home. Chris took off for the weekend with Joe and me and the kids played outside for awhile and then went in to take naps.

 This photo includes Brayden and Turner, the boys who live across the backyard. Savvy is wearing her Mexican sundress that we bought for her on vacation.

 Jack was so excited about having swings and a slide in his backyard.  He loved how fast the slide was and how he lands on his bottom in the grass every time he goes down. His grin is from ear to ear each time he is about to go down it.

It might take awhile before the kids conquer the rock wall.

 I pushed them for about twenty minutes this morning, with Jack saying, "Biggggg underdoggy Mom!"

We have big kid belt swings to switch out when they get a little older.

 

 Jack wasn't a huge fan of the tire swing, but maybe because he wanted to do it alone. Once I put Savvy on it with him he said he wanted to get down.

 Savannah on the other hand, loved it!

 Jack loves the neighbor's dog, Tundra. 
She is a nice dog but I am very cautious about when Jack is close to her.


After naps on Friday afternoon I got the kids ready to go swimming at the little Marshalltown country club.  We joined this past winter so Chris could start golfing and he had a place to take the kids swimming.  We went for a few hours and had a great time.  There were three or four other nice families with young kids that we have gotten to know who were also there.  We ate dinner up there too, sitting at the kids' picnic table eating french fries and "chiky nuggets" and eventually ended up playing in the sandbox and on the swings next to the pool.  It was fun night.

On Saturday morning I ran the Dam to Dam 20 K race in Des Moines. I had been signed up for a few months when Joe and Rena changed their moving date. Chris needed to be in Des Moines and then to Omaha to help on the same day as the race. I was panicking because I didn't know what I was going to do with the kids. Christina saved the day and said she would be able to spend the night on Friday night so that I could leave very early the next morning to get there in time for the 7:00 am start. She and her boyfriend Nate came on Friday evening. Christina helped me get the kids to bed, and they took care of them all Saturday morning until I got home around 11:30. The race went well, it is such a fun race with over 8,000 runners. They have bands, free food, drinks, and beer after the race. It wasn't as hot as I thought it would be so that was a relief. It was difficult to check my watch at the 11 mile mark and know that I still have 1.4 miles to go and that six years ago when I last ran it, I had already been done for a few minutes by that time. Yikes, I wonder if I will ever be fast again. I am trying to let that go and just enjoy running and being healthy.


When I got home Christina and Nate left to go back to Des Moines, and I fed the kids lunch and then all three of us took a nice long nap. It was so wonderful to let Jack sleep in our bed with the curtains drawn shut, the fan on, and just to read some books and snuggle for an afternoon snooze. I never get to do that. After naps we played outside for awhile and then went out to dinner at the new Chinese restaurant in town. I have eaten there before and after my long run that morning I thought I deserved a nice fattening dinner! I discovered that Jack loves egg drop soup and Savannah is a fanatic for fortune cookies.

The waitress at the Chinese restaurant took our photo.  She gave me a funny look when I asked if she would. See that white thing stuck to my rear?  That is Jack's gum and I didn't realize it was there until we all got home from the go cart races in Newton.  I walked around all night with that stuck to me and I didn't even know it.  The trials of motherhood.  I seriously wonder how many people saw it and didn't bother to tell me!

After dinner we headed to Newton for the kids Go-Cart races.  One of the dental assistants at the clinic, Amber, has a daughter, Madison, who races them and I have always thought it would be fun to go and watch sometime.  So last night we decided to go.  Jack was so excited.  He absolutely loved the fast cars and the loud noise.  He clung to the fence and didn't tear his eyes off the cars.  Savannah was pretty enthralled too.  I wasn't sure what to expect but what I saw was pretty amazing.  Little kids, as small as four years old, dressed in non-flammable suits, special gloves and boots, neck and chest protectors, expensive fancy helmets all driving these miniature race cars.  And they drove FAST!  It was fun to watch but I tell you what, I would NEVER let one of my children participate in such a dangerous activity.  I would not want to be there to see a crash which I heard happens often.  The dads are all shining up the cars and oiling the wheels and the moms are all cooking out and cheering on the kids.  After popsicles and about an hour and half of watching, my ears were hurting and we had all had enough.  We headed home for baths and bed.

No future racers in our family. Only spectators.

Savannah and Jada, Amber's other daughter, watching Madison smoke the other kids.  I guess Madison wins practically every race she enters and she just hops out of that little car, takes off her helmet and grins at everyone, with her two front teeth just coming in!

The kids and I had a great weekend, but honestly, I am exhausted and I am so ready for Daddy to come home tonight!!  We missed you Daddy!

No comments:

Post a Comment