Sunday, January 15, 2012

“I’m a big girl Mommy, no more diapers!”

006

This is our second day of potty training….our first day of success.

007

Savannah started on the little potty chair but by her third day, she wanted to sit only on the big girl toilet.

 

Chris and I knew she was ready for a while, but we wanted to wait for a time when I could be home with her for a couple of days.  My time off over Christmas was perfect.  On the 27th we started and on the 29th it was done.  I am so proud of her.  At first, she distinctly said, “No undies Mommy, I not like them.”  I made her wear them and we went to sit every 15 minutes.  She promptly wet them in between sessions.  And so that is how the first day went.  The next day went much better and she was so proud as she went multiple times, even going #2!!  Her only problem has been that she refuses to wear a diaper at night and wants to be taken to the bathroom multiple times during the night.  It was exhausting the first few nights but she is doing better now. 

This is our typical nighttime conversation, 3 am.

Savannah yelling from her bedroom:  “Mommy I go potty!!!”

Me running into her room: “Okay, lets go.”  I pick her up and we hurry to the bathroom. I put her on the toilet and she grins at me with her hair falling in her face.  She does a great job holding her little body up on that big toilet.

Savvy tries to keep her nightgown out of the water: “Mommy I go lots of potty.  Mommy, you have brown eyes?”  She says it with a gleam in her eyes.  We have had this conversation before, and she knows I have blue eyes. 

As I struggle to stay awake, I smile and gently say, “No Savannah, Mommy has blue eyes, you and Daddy and Jack have brown eyes.”  Then she gently reaches out and touches my nose. “ Mommy you have a nose?”  “Yes, Savannah, I have a nose.”  “Mommy, you have a booger in your nose?” She says it with a mischievous giggle.  “No Savvy, I don’t have a booger.  Are you done yet?”  “Noooooo, not yet Mommy.”

When she is done, she hops down and runs back to her crib. I follow her,   pick her up, lay her down, and cover her up while she asks to make sure she is, “warm and cozy.”

Our nighttime potty routine.  She makes me smile, brings a laugh to the back of my throat, and makes my eyelids droop for the rest of the day.   But she is ohhhh so worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment