Sunday, April 4, 2010

Benefit for Jack!

Family picture at the Knights of Columbus


The ceremonial photo with the donation envelope

I am very behind on my blog updates!  I can't believe it is Easter Sunday and I haven't even gotten to write about our wonderful weekend in Sioux City LAST weekend!  So I will fill you all in. 

Friday night was so busy trying to get packed for our trip to Sioux City.  We haven't made the trip up since my maternity leave in October.  The bad weather over Christmas stranded us in Marshalltown so it has been a long time coming.  After the kids were packed and in bed I headed back to work to wrap up a few things that I didn't get done during the day, then I proceeded to work on Jack's poster for the benefit on Sunday.  Little did I know it would take me FOUR hours.  I was exhausted when I finally got to bed at 2:30 but the poster looked great, so thats all that matters. 

We went to Kindermusik in Ames on Saturday.  Jack is still really enjoying his class and we have only missed one so far!  After class we ate at Jimmy Johns and Jack enjoyed his second HUGE JJ pickle.  Then began the dreaded three hour drive to Sioux City.  Savannah was an angel for the first half, Jack was the loud, whiny one the first half.  Then they reversed roles for the second half.  I swear, they communicate about these things.  Anyway, we were so happy to be back in Sioux City and to see our families!  The long trip was worth it!

Chris' sister Anne and her fiance Patrick's couples shower was on Saturday night and it was a blast!  It was so fun to see everyone, to talk, and to have a Corona!!  Bob and Patty did a great job hosting and Anne and Patrick got warmed up to the idea of opening up gifts in front of a crowd!  There is lots more to come!  My brother Luke and his fiance Courtney and my sister Christina babysat the kids while we were gone and they did a great job. 

The next morning was Jack's benefit at the Knights of Columbus in South Sioux City.  Chris' aunt, Kari Lynn, has hosted tons of breakfasts over the years to raise money for different causes.  She is an amazing person who is so organized and energetic.  I really admire her.  She offered to do a benefit for Jack a few months ago and Chris and I hesitated at first because we didn't want anyone to go to any trouble for us.  Well, she convinced us that she really wanted to, and that it wasn't for us, it was for Jack.  So began the work for many people of organizing, advertising, arranging the bake sale,  purchasing the food and preparing silent auction donations, recruitment of volunteers to work and more and more and more.  When I think of all the work that so many of our loved did for my precious Jack, I can't help but be emotional.

We arrived at the breakfast around 8:20 and there was already a handful of people eating.  I set up Jack's posterboard and before I knew it, the morning was over!!!  The time just flew by because there were SO MANY people!  Every time I turned around there was a new person to talk to.  Aunts, uncles, cousins, friends, former classmates, former employers, former teachers and coaches and the list goes on.  I couldn't keep the lump in my throat from continually returning.  I was a mess, crying over and over again.  I just couldn't believe all the people who had come to support Jack in his quest for rehabilitation after his injury.  It was overwhelming to see everyone and at different times in the morning I had to check to see who had my children because I couldn't keep track of who had which child!  Kari and her husband Robert worked so hard to put this together and we will never be able to thank them enough for their love and kindness.  Not only did they do that, but they also donated their frequent flier miles to cover our flights round trip to Baltimore.  If there is anyone who is an example of generousity and love, it is them.  And, if that wasn't enough, Kari Lynn baked us a homemade pie to take with us back home to Marshalltown.  Chris at the whole pie in one sitting.  It is sad that I am serious!  He let me have a couple of bites, but it was cherry, his favorite, so I figured I would let him go to town on that one!

I want to take this opportunity to express to everyone who helped with the benefit, our sincere gratitude. With Chris staying home with the kids and my income to pay all the bills and my heavy student loan debt, the upcoming trip to Baltimore was something that was going to stretch us very thin.  We anticipated some more heavy debt.  My time off work for Baltimore is to be unpaid leave and we were trying to budget for the trip and I was stressed, and Chris, lets just say that Chris stresses about ten times more than I do about money.  After the benefit, the amount of money that was raised will allow us to stop worrying and to focus all of our energy on supporting Jack and enjoying time together as a family.  The ability to be able to do that means so much to us.  We feel so blessed.  So thank you, to those who helped organize, those who helped clean and serve food, to those who cooked, to those who collected money, to the people who attended and gave so generously, you warmed our hearts and made us feel so loved and supported. And thank you to the KTIV broadcast journalist who chose to cover this story.  We hope that it reached a few parents of young babies who are contemplating child care options.  And most of all, Jack thanks you all too.  Because Jack is the one who will benefit from have two stress free parents to help him cope with the frustration of his upcoming intense therapy.  We know he will do well, and we are very grateful that he is even able to attend this special program. 

We would like everyone who donated so generously to know that we created a new account with the funds collected.  We will be using this money for the medical expense of Jack's therapy in Baltimore that will not be covered by insurance.  The remainder of the money will be used for travel, lodging and food expenses for the five week trip to Baltimore.  Thank you again!!

1 comment:

  1. Seriously Julie - I need to stop reading your posts at work because they always make me tear up.

    When you return from your trip and all is settled down, give me a call for some new pictures ... this time it is my treat :)

    ReplyDelete