Monday, July 4, 2011

Grandma's Visit!

Grandma came to visit last weekend, arriving on Thursday night.  The kids were very excited to have her come play with them and to show her their playset.  The first game they played was "CHASE" which entails running around the circle that makes up the kitchen, dining room, entryway and formal living room.  The laughter and screams of glee were so loud, and it made me smile.  We had dinner and just relaxed, taking the kids to the park, where Mom lost her cell phone in a wide open field.  She and Jack were wrestling and chasing each other and her phone fell out of her pocket.  We looked for it but couldn't find it and we were starting to get worried.  I didn't have my phone or we would have called it.  We saw some girls on the playground and one of them had their parent's phone.  Luckily they called it and we found it!!  We bumped into Jack's preschool teacher and I introduced her to my mom, Jack was so silly, acting shy in front of his teacher.  We finished our park visit with underdogs on the swings and popsicles on the front porch.

Friday was a gorgeous day and we spent the morning drinking coffee outside and playing with the kids in the backyard on the playset, in the front yard playing with sidewalk chalk, bubbles, and bikes. We put the kids in the stroller for a walk to the park.  We went to a park we don't usually go to and Jack really impressed us with his climbing skills.  He was determined to make it up this rock wall on his own.  I was very proud of him for not giving up or getting frustrated.  When he reached the top, he yelled, " I did IT!!"  Grandma was also impressed.  After park, we had lunch and naps.  After naps we spent time getting everyone ready for our family pictures appointment at Apgar's outdoor studio in Marshalltown.  Mom was a huge help, making the kids smile and laugh as the photographer snapped away.  Chris and I were even able to get a couple of shots of just the two of us while the kids took a break with Grandma.

Unfortunately, this photographer is pretty traditional, in other words, "old school" and he is not digital.  We went with him because he did another family's pictures in Marshalltown that we know, and we saw the photos and thought they were great.  Our previous photographer who came to the house and took pictures of the kids and family photos on two separate occasions is taking a break from photography for now.  Her husband was killed in Afghanistan and life has been turned upside down for her.  We loved her, but since she was not able to do it and we knew we wanted outdoor photos we decided to just bite the bullet and pay for an expensive traditional photographer.  I recieved our proofs on Friday and I am so happy we did it.  There are some GREAT photos.  We will scan them as soon as we can to share them with you all!

After our photo session, we had dinner and got the kids ready for bed.  Mom encouraged me and Chris to get away for a movie, and we were so happy to have a date.  We went to see "Super 8" and it certainly was entertaining, maybe not my favorite, but it was pretty good.  Thanks Mom!!

On Saturday we drove to Roland for Jack's equestrian therapy session.  Mom really enjoyed seeing Jack have so much fun on his horse.
Saturday afternoon was cool, we were disappointed we couldn't go to the pool, but the Gator was the next best thing.  Jack is getting better at driving it, but he is so fascinated by watching the wheels that he is still not very good at steering. 
Savannah just holds on for dear life.

Jack:  Look at the road kiddo, not the wheels!
I think Jack wanted Grandma to get off so he could continue to watch the wheels turn!!

On Saturday, Amy and her boyfriend, Jacob drove to Marshalltown so Mom could meet Jacob without having to drive an additional hour or so to Cedar Rapids.  We chatted at the house for awhile, then went out to dinner at the Tremont.  We followed that up with frozen yogurt at a new self serve place in town called Purple Cherry.  It was very good, lots of flavors to choose from, and tons of toppings.  Chris had red velvet cake with actual red velvet cake on top of his yogurt, and I had an orange sherbet with gummy bears.  Yum! 
Saturday night Mom kicked my butt in Scrabble even though I tried my best.  I am always impressed with her vocabulary and her mad Scrabble skills.  So humbling......doesn't help that she is a sore winner!!!  Hahaha, just kidding Mom!!  I would brag too if I could ever beat you!

On Sunday we were sad to see Mom go, especially since the weather was going to be good for swimming and I really wanted her to join us at the pool.  I know Lyle gets lonely without Mom, and he was ready for her to come home.  We had a wonderful weekend and I felt so lucky to have her at my house for three days.  You forget sometimes how much you will always need your mom, no matter how old you are. I love you Mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment