Last Friday Chris left to go out of town for a guys weekend to Omaha. He was definitely due for a break. Sometimes I am so amazed by his infinite patience, his loving gentle way with the kids, and his ability to multitask. Jeez, I make him sound like a woman. He continues to impress me everyday with what a wonderful job he does every day with our children. So, it was off to Omaha for golf, beer, unhealthy food, and some laughs with the guys.
I had Friday afternoon off so he could get out of town a little earlier, and we had a meeting scheduled with the AEA and new preschool teacher at 1:00. I was under the impression this was going to be a quick meeting. Chris left just as the ladies arrived and I foolishly thought I could entertain the kids while paying attention to three women who were firing questions at me about everything having to do with Jack, his educational goals, and his behavioral challenges. By 2:00 I was really struggling. Here I am trying to display good parenting skills in front of the new preschool teacher, a speech therapist, and a special educator. Jack is having a screaming fit in the bathroom, coming out with his pants around his ankles, and Savannah is rubbing pink Play-doh in the carpet with the heel of her shoes. I just wanted the meeting to be over. At 3:10 when I closed the front door Savvy was in full melt down mode and the house was trashed. I got Savannah down for her nap and Jack and I took a nap together until 5:00.
I am glad we had the meeting, and I really like the new preschool teacher. She has three boys of her own, and she is my age so I feel like we really connected since we have something in common. She really made an effort with Jack during the meeting, and he seems to like her. They developed a special high five, low five, on the side five, really hard five routine. Her name is Mrs. Ricken and I think she and Jack will have a good relationship.
Christina arrived around dinnertime. Thank God. She was a huge help and it is always fun to have her around. We ate dinner, cleaned up, then played outside with the kids. I asked her to come spend the night so that I could do my long run early Saturday morning with my friend Liz and the running group. Christina slept with me and took care of the kiddos until I got home around 9:15 Saturday morning. I had a great long run, seventeen miles. The weather was perfect and I felt really strong until the last two miles. Finished it and I was so relieved when we were done. This weekend is nineteen miles so that my Labor Day weekend run can be shorter.
Christina headed home and I got myself the kids ready to go to Cedar Rapids to see Leah, Ben, Maverick, Chris, Kelly, and sweet baby Katelyn. We had so much fun swimming at Leah and Ben's parents pool, eating yummy snacks, and catching up on each other's lives. It was so good to see everyone and hear what was new. Jack and Savannah were so content to swim and play, I was somewhat surprised by how easy the afternoon was. They were pretty independent in the water, Jack with his small flotation backpack, Savvy with her life jacket. We stayed until 4:30 and I was sad to leave.
On our drive home my friend Liz called and reminded me of the casual outdoor dinner at Elmwood that night. She asked if I wanted to come and bring the kids. I must be crazy, but I said, "of course!" So I brought two tired, hungry children to the country club to eat. Of course, they thought they were going swimming again and Savannah tried to get in the pool. We had a great time, and the kids were really well behaved sitting at the kids' table eating their food, and for Savvy, other children's food too.
We were exhausted when we headed home and I couldn't wait to go to bed. Jack slept with me and asked me to turn off the light because he was TIRED. That may never happen again.
Sunday morning, again I attempted the impossible and I took both kids to church. Mrs. Ricken and her family was right behind us! It was little stressful managing them both by myself but we made it through the whole hour with only one potty break and no tears!! Success! Jack was able to see his new teacher again and practice his high five routine. Her boys seem like a handful so maybe Jack will not be a challenge at all for her. After church we headed to Kmart to check out the clearance patio sets. I couldn't believe that they had a set that I saw in the spring time for 50% off. Why, oh why do things that I have already told my husband I won't ask for anymore have to be on sale? So of course, I couldn't pass it up and after phone calls to Dad, we drove home with the Kmart manager following us in his truck to deliver the new set. The next day the patio set went down to 75% off and guess who managed to get the price changed? Yep, just call me a bargain shopper.
Me the kids finished off our weekend without Daddy in a big way. Little Cesars pizza, Crazy bread, Diet Coke, and a dance party in the kitchen. Dad walked into the kitchen with the music blaring, kids laughing, mom smiling, and I think he was happy to be home to join in the party. We had fun but we missed you Daddy.
Monday night was Meet the Teacher night at preschool. On Monday Jack will be starting M, W, F, afternoon preschool from 12:30-3:00. We brought Jack's school supplies and he seemed excited to be back in the building. He had to go to the bathroom and I was impressed that he remembered right where to go. He marched in the boys bathroom and didn't even need the kid's stepstool to reach the urinal. Jack reached up to push the flusher and his eyes lit up when his hand made contact and he had a successful flush. He announced with joy, "Mom, I'm TALL!!" It was really cute. Mrs. Ricken lead us around the room for a few activities to find Jack's nametag and backpack hook, and then before we knew it, it was time to go. As Jack climbed the steps to leave, I remember being so nervous last year when he had just turned three, to send him off to preschool. He could barely do the steps by himself then. Now, I watch my confident almost four year old son, and I am happy, relieved, and so grateful for the progress he has made, but I am sad because he is no longer my baby. We are so proud of you Jack.
No comments:
Post a Comment