Saturday, May 4, 2013

Our Second Floor Renovation ~ March to May 2013

We found a great contractor and he started our renovation in May and they finished on time for our move in date the first weekend in May.  We were thrilled with how it turned out and most days I have to pinch myself to remind myself that this is actually my house!!  The second floor includes five bedrooms and closets, two bathrooms, the laundry room, the hallway and linen closet.

THE MASTER BATHROOM

Airy Master Bath

This is the master bathroom prior to demolition. It is was light, bright, spacious, but very dated.

Tub with a View

photo (151)

The shower in the master bath was pretty small with a sliding glass door on a track. The toilet was to the right of the shower but in this photo it had already been removed.  In the new bathroom the toilet is on the opposite side of the room.

photo (141)

They tore out the old vanity before we took pictures.  Our new vanities are in the same location.

photo (144)

The framing for the new layout of the bathroom. They moved the doorway to the bathroom to the right to allow for a larger shower. 

photo (145)

This is the view from the master bedroom into the master bath with no wall up yet. We moved the doorway to allow for a larger shower. You can really appreciate the size of the bathroom from this view. 

photo (148)

The deck built for the new soaking tub!! A consultant from Pella came to evaluate all the windows and they determined the upstairs windows were fine, they just needed a good scrub and new parts.

photo (147)

The frame waterproofed for tile, ready for the shower and seat in the corner.

094

The finished soaking tub

093

Tile and glass shower for two

095

096

098

099

100

Double vanities with custom cabinetry, heated floor and soft close drawers and toilet

photo (140)

Master closet before

The laundry room was adjacent to the master closet. The laundry room had some wasted space that would add about two feet to the width of the master closet so they moved the wall to expand our closet.

081

Master closet after (I never knew it was difficult to take a picture of a closet!)

082

It’s definitely not as organized as I would like but that’s another to do list.

083

084

photo (143)

The kids bathroom before.  I wish I had photos of the yellow tub, sink and toilet.  It was classic 1970s chic.

052

We chose the wide sink basin because we knew the kids fight over toothpaste spitting space and this way they can stand in a row and all have a place to spit.  There wasn’t quite enough room to do a double vanity.  I love how the tile backsplash and trim turned out.

053

I wanted the bathroom to be kid friendly without actually being decorated in a child design.

054

We talked about doing a tile shower in the kids bathroom but it just made more sense since we wanted a nice deep tub for them to just do an all in one with a  shower curtain.

055

photo (149)

the laundry room before

photo (152)

042

The laundry room after!  I am dork but I love the laundry room

047

The sink is perfect to hand wash those garments that require it, and to presoak stained baby clothes.  Not mention accidents and throw up messes. 

045

This was the contractors idea!

046

He’s a genius!

I did not take any before pictures of the other bedrooms.  All I can say is the size of the rooms are wonderful….but what was inside was not!  Dingy carpet, wood paneling, gold track lighting….flowered wallpaper in the master.  They gutted the rest of the second floor to the beams, new sheetrock, new doors and trim, texture and paint, new carpet with an extra plush pad, new light fixtures, closet organizers, new window parts, and wood blinds. 

040

034

Landon’s Very Hungry Catepillar Room

035

037

We went with a wide white trim throughout the upstairs with a thick dark gray carpet.  I wanted something that would not show stains but that would be soft and durable.

038

039

Instead of having the walls painted like we did in Iowa City or Marshalltown I decided to just use decals since the rooms are going to have to grow with the kids.  This room is the smallest of the five and it is closest to the master so our new baby will move to this room and Landon will transition to the orange room when he is two. 

041

I chose the same ceiling fans for all the kid’s rooms.  We wanted something that looked modern and contemporary without being too weird.  All the hardware and fixtures (doorknobs and closet handles) are brushed nickel so the ceiling fan matches nicely. 

048

The light fixtures in the hallway and master closet and laundry room all match with brushed nickel accents. The paint in the hallway is a pale gray.  All the paint is from Sherwin Williams and the kids’ bedroom colors come from one particular line of bright colors that I loved.

049

The linen closet is to the left.  We very much miss our double wide hallway that we had in Marshalltown.  The hallway is just a regular size.  If we would have built a brand new house I would have splurged and spent the extra money for a double wide hallway.  Chris did install Nest thermostats from Google in the house for each of the three heating/cooling zones in the house.  You can control the thermostats remotely from your phone to modify the temp at any time. We also put in carbon monoxide detectors on each level and smoke detectors in almost every room. Chris had ADT come and they installed a home security system that can also be activated and deactivated from our phones.

050

056

Savannah’s Secret Garden Room

058

060

We bought her furniture from Nebraska Furniture Mart.  Bedding, curtains, hooks, decals, and rug from Pottery Barn Kids.

059

061

062

064

065

066

067

Sav’s closet is great because it is so wide, she has plenty of storage.  Considering my bedroom growing up was the size of a box with a matchstick box closet, I think she is is pretty lucky!

073

Jack’s Cars/Fish/Superman room

001

003

004

075

Jack’s bedroom set that we bought off Craigslist in Marshalltown.  This will be Landon’s bedroom set eventually and Jack will get a full size bedroom set.  For now, it is a little mismatched but he loves his Cars decals, Superman decorative wall hangings and fish bedding.

076

077

Jack’s bedroom has two closets and both are a good size but we just felt that the room was better for him vs. Savannah.

078

079

080

Jack will grow into these closets.

068

This will be Landon’s room eventually and I have a fun theme idea to use with the orange back ground walls. For now the IKEA bunk beds fit in there nicely for cousin sleepovers.

069

070

071

Chris uses this as his temp office space for now.  The formal living room has been demoed and Chris will have a nice office space in a nook next to the fireplace in that room when it is finished.

085

Our bedroom! 

Chris picked out the ceiling fan.  He did a great job matching the lamps from Pier One and coordinating with the hallway fixtures!  I was very proud of his choice! All that is missing is a nice landscape view framed photo of the whole family over the bed.  We will have to wait until Summer of 2015 when baby #4 is old enough to smile for a photo!!

086

The furniture is from Nebraska Furniture Mart and I love LOVE LOVE our bed.  It is kind of a curse though, because it is so comfortable that getting up in the morning can be torture. I also love the open storage for books and the closed drawers for clothes under the bed instead of wasted space.  I have new bedding picked out that goes more with our color scheme but we are delaying that purchase due to the unplanned purchase of two new heat pumps in December.  That was fun…one heat pump going out was bad enough but the second put me over the edge.  Now we have two brand new ones that should last a long time but new bedding will have to wait. We reframed our wedding photos to update them a bit.  The bench at the foot of the bed is from Pier One.

087

089

090

Our three babes!  Need to make room for one more!

092

Doorway to the bathroom.  I like the step up….it was hard to decide if I liked it or not…but we get so many compliments on it that now I like it!

So where are we now on our renovation? The garage project is nearly complete. Our contractor put in a ceiling in the garage because all we used to see when we looked up was the rafters. The three car garage is deep and wide, but very cold and dark.  They blew in insulation and put up new sheetrock, trim and painted.  New lighting was installed and an epoxy floor was laid.  The floor is gorgeous.  I really can’t believe I am saying that. But it is.  The heater Chris bought will be installed soon. The garage still needs new closet doors, three new windows with new trim and new garage doors.  Once the garage is done we are moving into the mudroom to demo that and create six storage cubbies, tile the floor and redo the three large closets in the mudroom.  I can’t wait to see that room done.  I have been researching creative storage ideas.  The formal living room we hope to start this spring.

031

The formal living room will be such a beautiful space when we are done.  Three walls are made of large windows and the view and natural light makes the room feel huge. I envision an office space, a piano by the window, a more formal sectional and ottoman (Ethan Allen?) and redoing the fireplace in more natural stone. Dark hardwood floors and white trim.

029

032

033

These prints are the inspiration for the room.  I know, I know… they are bright.  But I love them.  And somehow I will find a great place for them.  The after pictures to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment