Let me start this blog update by saying that I have NEVER had a surprise birthday party or really, any kind of birthday party at all since I was a child, or maybe when I turned twenty-one. So, needless to say, I was NOT expecting any kind of party for my thirtieth birthday party. In my mind, the marathon was over, I ate my cake with my kids and that was that. I didn’t get to see my family but I expected that since my birthday was on a Monday. All I knew I had left for my birthday was a quick Sunday lunch with my sister Christina, and her boyfriend Nate. I realized I made a mistake about the timing of lunch and that we wouldn’t make it until 12:30 instead of 12 like we talked about. When I told Chris that I should tell Christina about the time change, he very nonchalantly said that he didn’t think we should do that since Christina doesn’t like to have plans changed. I texted Christina and she responded that 12:30 would be just fine, no big deal.
We went to church and headed right to Des Moines afterwards. Our priest is well-known for giving very long homilies and the parish seriously has like 15 minutes of announcements after Mass. By the time we loaded the kids in the car it was already 11:50. Of course, Jack needed an emergency bathroom break and by the time we walked into the Cheesecake Factory it was 12:50. I was tired, sweaty, carrying my 32 pound daughter and a diaper bag, the last thing I was thinking was that I would see anyone other than Christina and Nate. I was so surprised and really excited to see my family and my friends from dental school!! There were balloons, cards, and even a present… for ME! I felt very special. My sister is the BEST!
Christina…the culprit behind the surprise. The cheesecake was delicious too!
Krystal, Kelly, Chris and Jack
I love my dental school girls…and I was so happy to see them. I had seen Krystal, Blake, and little Grayson on Friday night in Iowa City. We went out to eat at Mondo’s to catch up after a con ed course. It was so good to see her, and to catch up. She did a great job of keeping Sunday a surprise.
Christina and Nate
Me and Jarrod
Jacob, Amy, and Savvy girl
Jack and Savannah were so excited to see “GAMMA!!”
After a nice lunch, I said good-bye to Kelly and Krystal who left to do some shopping. Chris and Jacob left to go golfing, and the rest of us headed to Christina’s apartment to meet her new kitty, Allie. Jack and Savannah were so excited to see a kitten, and they loved just watching her every move. I think a cat may be in our future….well maybe not if Chris has anything to say about it!
Time to try on Aunt TT’s hats! Savvy, where is your smile?
Now that is more like it Jack!!
Here she is… Miss Allie! This was the best photo I got since she will not sit still for single second!
The kids stayed in this position for a long time, just watching her play with the blind cords. They were fascinated with her whiskers, rough tongue, and the way she playfully bit them! It was really fun to watch them have so much fun with her.
I had a wonderful surprise birthday lunch. It was awesome to see my friends and laugh with them. It was so sweet of my mom and brother Jarrod to drive all the way to Des Moines just for a few hours. And, thanks to Amy and Jacob for making the trip from Iowa City. I think the golf had something to do with it for Jacob! Haha. Kidding. And Nate and Christina, thank you so much. I don’t know how you do all that you do. I love you. You made me feel special on my birthday. And I loved the champagne and balloons, and the leftover cheesecake too!
No comments:
Post a Comment