Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Landon Gregory Lohr~ Aug. 7, 2012

027

Our sweet Landon Gregory entered the world on Tuesday August 7th, at 8:21 am weighing 7 pounds, 4 oz and was 20 inches long!  He was born at Mercy Medical Center.

Landon, here is the story of your birth:

I had a long day at work on Monday, August 6th, ending my day by rushing to my doctors appointment. My OB told me that I was definitely ready to deliver after she completed her exam.  She said that I could go into labor at any time.  She said her check might even put me into labor. I was surprised because I was only 38.5 weeks pregnant and you were not due for another 11 days!!  I was not hopeful for an early labor since I had mentally fully prepared myself to be overdue like I was with your big brother Jack, or if I was lucky, with Savannah, to deliver on my due date.  But after dinner I was definitely feeling some pretty uncomfortable contractions, not regular, but I could tell something was going on.  I was so excited at the thought that my labor was actually starting and I started walking around the house, thinking of anything to do to get things ready.  Landon, your room was all ready to go, wipes in the warmer, newborn Pampers filling the diaper basket, all the onsies and sleepers washed and folded in your dresser.  The swing, bouncy seat, and boppy pillow were ready to go.  Your new car seat and stroller were ready too!  Bottles had been sterilized and my pump was just waiting for your arrival.  I did a couple of loads of laundry, packed my hospital bag, and started cleaning.  I just could not sit still. I was so excited that I made a few phone calls for work….and checked the work schedule for the next few days to see if there were any patients that would have to be rescheduled.  Luckily we had prepared well, Dr. T had a very light schedule starting on the 5th, and all my patients would just be slid over to his schedule. Connie, who works at the front desk, is a great planner!

We went to bed around 9:30 and there was a small part of me that thought my contractions would stop once I rested.  Daddy thought so too. They did not.  The contractions continued to get stronger and I could not fall asleep.  I wanted to let Daddy sleep for as long as he could before I woke him to go to the hospital because I knew it would be a long night.  Finally, at midnight I couldn’t lie still during a contraction.  I was worried that maybe I had waited too long and I did not want to have to wait too long for an epidural.  I woke up Daddy and we called Lolli and Pop to come over.  They were going to go to sleep in our bed and take care of Jack and Savannah so we could go to the hospital.  They came over within five minutes and were so happy for us that it was finally time to welcome you into this world!  Daddy and I drove to the hospital and we talked about you, Jack, and Savannah on the way there.  We reminisced about the drive to the hospital in Iowa City when we were going to meet Jack, and then our trip to the Marshalltown hospital when it time for Savannah to be born.  We were so excited to have another son, for Jack and Savannah to have a brother.  We talked about how big you might be, and who you might look like.  We prayed and asked God to be with us as we brought you into the world. 

We arrived at the ER and checked in.  We were brought to Labor and Delivery.  I explained right away that I wanted an epidural and asked for IV fluids to be started immediately.  By this time my contractions were pretty painful.  The nurse was great and got me started right away with monitoring and my IV.  Your heartbeat sounded so strong and the doctor was pleased with how you were handling the contractions. 

Grandma arrived to see us at the hospital to give us hugs and wish us good luck with the delivery.  I was walking the hospital floor in our room with my IV to ease the pain.  I do not understand how other mothers lie in bed in pain, I feel so much better when I move.  Grandma left just in time for the anesthesiologist to give me my epidural.  The doctor was really funny and he was trying to distract me from my pain so I could sit still.  He was making dental jokes since he heard I was a dentist, and was serious for a minute when he told me he hadn’t been to see his dentist in awhile.  I asked who his dentist was and he said he couldn’t remember his name, but he was the nicest guy, had a great staff, and his wife and kids loved him.  He said his wife and kiddos go regularly, but he puts off his appointment because he is so busy with work. He said, “I think his last name starts with a T.”  I said, “Dr. Tiedeman?”  He confirmed that Dr. T was his dentist and I had to laugh and tell him he was now my patient!! He was happy to hear that I had bought the practice.  He and his family were members of the same parish as us and even send their kids to the same school we will.  I was so distracted by this little talk of ours that before I knew it the epidural catheter was in place and I was ready to take in the relief!!

Daddy and I tried to sleep then for a couple of hours.  I don’t think either of us slept a wink.  Every 15 minutes the blood pressure cuff started up, and poor Daddy tossed and turned on the narrow couch in the delivery room.  The nurse continued to check that my labor was progressing and it was.  Sometime around five o’clock I began to feel short waves of nausea.  All of a sudden I called to Dad to bring me the garbage can…you guessed it….I threw up.  Yuck.  I was not expecting this, and had never thrown up in labor before.  The nurse assured me this was normal and a lot of women vomit during the transition phase (or something like that) of labor.  It was not fun.  The doctor arrived around 7:30 am and said I was nearly ready to push.  She and the nurses prepared the room and by 8:20 she said I could push and at 8:21 you were here!!  Two hard pushes and our baby boy was in my arms.  (Thank you Jack for paving the way for your siblings!)

028

Landon, one unique thing about you was that the umbilical cord was so short everyone was exclaiming, “wow, the cord is sooooo short!”  The doctor even said it was one of the shortest cords she had ever seen.  I was not really paying attention because my eyes and ears were fixed on you. You were oblivious to all this talk because you were screaming so loud (haha).  Jack did not cry when he was born, just blinked and looked around.  Savannah cried, but just for a minute.  You, my dear, screamed until I nursed you four or five minutes later.  You wanted everyone to know you had ARRIVED!! Of course Daddy and I cried too.  You were absolutely perfect.  The sweetest little face, ten beautiful fingers and ten gorgeous toes.  You were just a peanut and I wanted to know where the rest of you was hiding!!  I really thought you were going to be bigger.  I was so happy to see your head full of dark hair, just like Jack and Savannah!  I kissed your dad and thanked God you were healthy and all ours!!

032

041

034

Like Jack, you have big hands buddy!

033

Chris doesn’t even look tired here, very impressive.  I look halfway awake thanks to bronzer, mascara, lip gloss and shimmery eye shadow after my throw up session.

aug7

Lolli and Pop took this picture at their house before they left to come visit us at the hospital.  Jack carried in a balloon to welcome Landon and Savannah brought a toy for his car seat. Lolli told me there was a bit of a fight before walking into the hospital about who was going to carry which gift in for Landon. (I loved the 80’s side ponytail Savvy was rockin!)

landon&savvy

Savannah was in awe of Landon.  She just kept staring at him and gently touching his head.  Jack smiled at him and said, “hi baby Landon.” Then he looked up at me and said, “Can I play the iPAD?” Jack sat in the chair in the corner and proceeded to play the iPAD for twenty minutes!  I think Jack forgot all about his new baby brother in those twenty minutes.

037

The only time he looked up was when Landon was screaming during his temperature check.

familyoffive

Our first family photo of the five of us!

I feel so happy and blessed when I see this picture.  It is what Chris and I dreamed of when we were much younger…and now our growing family is a reality.

momandbabies

This picture is special because I have treasured every minute of Savannah being my “baby.”  Mourning Jack as my baby was difficult, but then Savannah came along so quickly I had a new baby to love and fill my arms.  We needed a bit more time before being ready for a third child and I was well aware this gave me a little more time to dole out tons of love to Savvy who got to be my baby for almost three years!  She is so precious, such a sweet, loving little girl and though I am not ready for her to grow up, I am ready for her to transition to being my little girl and not my baby.  She’s HUGE compared to our little Landon!

landon1

Sleeping babe

landons1stpic2

Awake!  Hello world!

jack&landon

They were so excited to see he was awake!

040

045

Landon’s first picture with Grammy

042

First picture with Lolli

044

Love from Lolli and Pop

lolliandpopedit

mythreebabies

Sibling love

048

049

Your great Grandma Keane said you were beautiful Landon!  And that means a lot coming from her, she has seen A LOT of babies. 

052

My cute Grandma and Grandpa Keane

051

I feel my heart just swelling with happiness when I look at these pictures.  Giving birth in Iowa City, so far away from family was hard when we had Jack.  Even though my mom was there, it wasn’t the same as having visitors from family and friends.Having Savannah in Marshalltown was difficult too, knowing Mom and Christina would have to leave soon after we arrived home from the hospital.  Giving birth to Landon here in our hometown is wonderful. Having Grandma and Grandpa Keane come to the hospital to visit meant the world to me.  Being in Sioux City surrounded by both of our families is like a dream and I am so grateful!

landonhome2

After a very long hospital stay we finally were getting ready to go HOME!

I was in the hospital for 60 hours.  When I found out that Kourtney Kardashian only spent three hours I was so jealous!  I hate being in the hospital and it was ridiculous for the pediatrician to make us stay.  The OB said it was fine for me to go home but the pediatrician on rounds that week said it was her policy for healthy newborns to stay for 48 hours.  Landon, you will realize that your mommy doesn’t like to sit around very much and I could work on increasing my patience too!

landonhome1

Our third blessing~Landon Gregory

No comments:

Post a Comment