Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Mom is 30!!!

062

My beautiful chocolate heart shaped cake, made by master baker extraordinaire Chris Lohr.  We didn’t have any birthday candles so we improvised with a votive!  After blowing out the candle I added some vanilla ice cream with chocolate syrup!  Chris made peppercorn salmon, steamed veggies, and sun dried tomato rice for dinner.  I am one lucky wife!

063

Okay, I know I am a dork, but I think these hats are funny and I went downstairs to the storage room, just to get myself this hat for the photo.  How did I become such a cheeseball?

064

I had a wonderful 30th birthday.  I had today off from work, which I new I would need after the race and want since it is my birthday.  I was able to see most of my family over the weekend, and I got to talk to everyone either by text, phone or email!  We ended up scheduling a doctor’s appointment for Jack in Iowa City for today last week.  We didn’t want to schedule it for today but I could manage to make it work in our schedules any other way.  He had to miss preschool for it too, so that is a bummer.  We left around 9 this morning, arriving just in the nick of time for his appointment at 10:30.  At Jack’s last appointment in Orthopedics we discussed having botox administered to Jack’s right bicep muscle to decrease the tone in his arm.  The doctor thought he would be a good candidate if we were doing it for the right reasons, i.e.. not to please the physical and occupational therapists.  Chris and I talked about it and decided we would try it once, see if Jack’s every day functional use with his right arm was increased, and if so then we may continue to do it a few times a year.  If we don’t notice an improvement with his extension or his functional use then we will probably not do it again.  So the nurse practitioner gave two quick injections in Jack’s right bicep muscle.  He started to cry when she walked in with her little tray and I felt so bad for him.  Poor kid.  He has been through so much.  I hugged him tight and whispered in his ear, it was medicine to make his arm better.  He took it like a champ and only cried a little bit afterwards.  He got two cool band-aids, two stickers, and two suckers.  He was pretty happy to show off these treasures to Savvy and Dad in the waiting room.  We left Iowa City around 12, but only after a pit stop at the BP station next to our old townhouse for the best MONSTER cookies in the world.  We ate a packed lunch in the car and we were home by 1:30 for naps.  Jack and I were cozy, taking a nap together in my bed.  He stretched out his right arm as far as he could and said, “Its workin Mom, the medicine workin!!”  He had such a smile on his sweet little boy face.  Little does he know the botox doesn’t start to take effect until 7-10 days.  That’s okay, buddy, your positive outlook and hard work is going to take you so much farther than any medicine!  He then sang Happy Birthday to me, followed by a perfect rendition of ABC’s to the Twinkle Twinkle tune.  So sweet!  The best part of my day.  We took a two hour snooze, woke up to have lemonade, and then headed outside to play.  Daddy made dinner and dessert, and we decided to skip tumbling class.  Such rebels we are.  We got in our jammies early and went to the basement to play for awhile in the toy room.  We ended our night on the couch, watching a VHS tape of Annie.  Yes, we do have a VCR.  Can you believe it??  The kids have never seen Annie and I thought they might like it.  I was right.  Their eyes were glued to the screen.  Within 15 minutes of watching Annie I realized this movie has a lot of things in it that you might not want your young kids to see.  Kids crying about bad dreams, girls physically fighting, drunken Miss Hanigan, boys torturing a dog, and then Annie punching out the boys and proceeding to call the dog “dumb.”  Good choice Mom.  Hahaha.  Oh well, they liked it.  All in all, a great day and I feel so blessed!!

No comments:

Post a Comment